I missed the Top Ten Tuesday post last week where we all shared bookish facts about ourselves. I was really looking forward to joining in, but time got away from me. However, I decided that I’d do my own solitary post on the topic just because I absolutely love talking about myself. So without further ado, here are a handful of bookish facts about me and my life.
1. The first book I ever read by myself was Green Eggs and Ham. I distinctly remember sitting in my living room, between the coffee table and the fireplace, and reading this in my head. I was so damn proud of myself.
2. My favorite genre is Magical Realism. I’ve actually written a whole post on it. I love everything about it.
3. I’m here for the girls. I almost always prefer a female main character. In fact, the only time I really ever read from a male POV is when it’s a dual perspective book and there is also a female point of view character. There are some exceptions, though, like the Captive Prince trilogy or Harry Potter.
4. We planned our moving day around a book signing. We left most of our things in Pennsylvania, aka 700 miles away from where we were currently living. And we decided that we were going to go get those things on a specific day because Robin LaFevers was signing in the area on that day. I like to joke that my husband drove 700 miles to get a book signed for me. I mean, it’s not actually false.
5. I collect the Throne of Glass series. From ARCs, to UK paperbacks, I have almost every edition there is of this series. And I have the ugly hardcover of the first book. Now, I’m working on foreign language editions.
6. I love Harry Potter. Which isn’t really a surprise. But I love Harry Potter so much, I named my cat Weasley. I’ve always said I’d name a daughter Hermione, but somehow I don’t think that’s actually going to happen.
7. My favorite blog posts to write are book reviews. I know everyone else hates them, but I find them cathartic. I’m never at a loss for words when it comes to talking about the books I read. And writing out a review really helps me sort out exactly how I feel, especially about bigger-picture items like themes and real world context.
8. Breaking Dawn was the first book I ever pre-ordered. I never really cared about that sort of thing but I HAD to know how the series ended and I HAD to know as soon as possible. Now? I’m a pre-order fanatic. I pre-order everything.
9. I do over half my reading on my eReader. Between eARCs and laziness, I spend a ton of time reading from my Nook. A lot of the time, if I own a book in hardcover, I’ll download a library ebook copy and read it that way. I love reading in bed, and always lie on my side, so reading on a tablet is just 1000 times easier. Also, I feel like I read a lot faster using my Nook.
10. Lady assassins are my kryptonite. Between His Fair Assassin, Graceling, and Throne of Glass, I’ve grown a deep, deep love for this type of character. If I see a female assassin in a blurb on ANY book, I know I need it and I need it right now. It’s my number one hot-button Must Buy factor. I can’t help it.
Do we share any bookish quirks?