Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish
This week we’re discussing characters who make great leaders
1. Starr from The Hate U Give. Starr will go down as a favorite character of mine. She is brave in the face of enormous injustices and threats of violence. She speaks up where others are afraid to do so. She fights for what she believes in. I just love her to absolute pieces and I want Angie Thomas to write a billion more books about her – college days, more activism, her career as a civil rights lawyer.
2. Kaz from Six of Crows. It takes a special kind of person to round up the motley crew we see in Six of Crows and actually get them to work in unison. He has a master plan and somehow encourages a ragtag group of criminals and outcasts to believe in him.
3. Raisa from the Seven Realms. Raisa is one of the best queens to ever grace the pages of a YA fantasy. She is of course bullheaded and curious and has very little control of her tongue sometimes. But! She cares so fiercely about honoring the amazing line of queens who came before her and truly earning the title of Gray Wolf Queen. She also cares so fiercely for her people. She takes the time to get to know the people she’s responsible for. She moves money where it is most needed. She visits the sick and the poor. I just love her so, so much.
4. Jamie from Him. Jamie starts out as a star hockey player. He’s headed to the NHL. But over the course of the book it becomes clear that he’s really at the top of his game when he’s coaching younger players. He has a keen sense for knowing when to motivate or lecture them, and he knows exactly how to help his kids become better. He’s a different type of leader than the others on this list, but he does a really great job of pushing his team forward.
5. Lada from And I Darken. Lada has the kind of strength that draws out strength in others. Her men believe so strongly that she can succeed that they are willing to go to the ends of the earth and back for her on nothing but a prayer and a claim to the throne. Lesser princes wouldn’t be able to pull of the stunts that she does, but she kicks ass with the help of her soldiers. She’s also very cunning and a fantastic military strategist, and she’s very, very good at taking the lessons she learns and applying them to her real life.
Who are some of your favorite leaders?