You guys, I’m calling it now. 2016 is going to be an amazing year for books. Maybe it was just me, but aside from the handful of truly stand-out titles, I’ve felt that 2015 was just blah for me. But 2016 has so many amazing titles coming out and honestly I need them now. These are just SOME of the books I am very much looking forward to in the early months of next year.
1. The Love that Split the World by Emily Henry. Gonna be honest here, I don’t know much about this one. I do know that is has a beautiful cover and that a lot of authors I love have loved it. Good enough for me!
2. Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys. I read Out of the Easy a little while ago, and plan to read Between Shades of Grey by the time this post actually goes up. OotE is one of my favorite books – from the rich setting to the vivid characters, I loved everything about it. I cannot wait to get my hands on her newest title. And look at that cover!
3. The Skylighter by Becky Wallace. Confession: I actually already have this one *and* I’ve already started it. But I couldn’t not mention it here. The Storyspinner was such a fun fantasy tale, full of adventure and legend and a lost princess. The ending was KILLER and I’m so excited to find out where this goes!
4. Rebel Bully Geek Pariah by Erin Jade Lange. I read Butter a while ago and enjoyed it, though I thought it was really, really weird. To be honest, Lange’s newest didn’t really register on my radar until very recently. Dahlia Adler tweeted that it was a really good thriller which totally caught my attention because a) thrillers are my jam, and b) I had no idea this was anything more than a standard, multi-POV contemporary about bullying. But since this appears to be more than meets the eye, I am very excited to see what it’s all about.
5. Bleeding Earth by Kaitlin Ward. I know very little about this other than 1) blood starts coming out of the ground?? and 2) f/f romance in genre fiction! That’s honestly enough to catch my attention so I went ahead and pre-ordered it as soon as I heard about it.
6. A Gathering of Shadows by VE Schwab. I feel like this will be on everyone’s list, and it really needs no introduction. But obviously I am mega excited for this sequel. It promises pirates! and magical tournaments! and exes! I’m just. Is it February yet?
7. The Rose & the Dagger by Renee Ahdieh. I know that not everyone loved The Wrath & the Dawn by I freaking loved it. The writing was so beautiful and the scenery so lush, the little bits of magic were intriguing, and the romance was torturous. It ended on a hell of a cliffhanger and I absolutely need to know how this duology finishes. I also have a “team” in this so-called love triangle and I am v v invested.
8. Bad Boy by Leah Raeder. Black Iris, which came out in spring of this year, is one of my all-time favorite books. Bad Boy is supposed to be a spin-off/companion novel type of thing so clearly I need to read it. I don’t really need to know much more than “it was written by Leah Raeder” to know to put this on my auto-purchase list.
9. Firsts by Laurie Elizabeth Flynn. I really love contemporary YA, and I especially love it when it pushes the boundaries on what we see as “okay” behavior for teenage girls. A girl in the business of taking boys’ virginity (virginities? there’s apparently quite a lot of boys) definitely meets that mark. This promises to be a tearjerker too, which I am very much looking forward to.
10. Exit, Pursued by a Bear by EK Johnston. Since I heard the title of this one, I knew it was a book I HAD to have. The kickass, mid-flight cheerleader on the cover doesn’t hurt either. AND HER NAME IS HERMIONE. There is so much about this book that I already love, I just KNOW this is going to make the Best of 2016 list. And it’s still 2015!
You guys, 2015 was a lackluster reading year for me. I didn’t even read 100 books, which normally is easy for me, and something I accomplish very early on. This year was a rough year for reading, blogging and in my personal life. But there are SO many books I’m excited for in 2016. I hope that 2016 is a better reading year for both myself and Bekka. These are just SOME of the books I’m excited for.
1. After the Woods by Kim Savage. Holy crap, I need this book in my hands immediately. This is one book that I will more than likely be pre-ordering at the beginning of 2016. Mystery/thrillers always seem to excite me. Plus I love stories that have friendship as a major theme and the friendship between Julia & Liz sounds potentially complicated.
2. The First Time She Drowned by Kerry Kletter. First of all, that cover is utterly stunning. It’s gorgeous and drool-worthy. I need this book for the cover alone. As for the rest of it, I love books that feature mental institutions & mental health issues. I love the “tough stuff,” so this book is totally up my alley and I cannot wait to get a copy of this book.
3. Passenger by Alexandra Bracken. Really, all that needed to be said about this book was that time travel is featured quite heavily in this book. As I type this, I am actually reading an eARC of it and while I am confused, I am enjoying it so far. This book was my first 2016 pre-order. I’ve heard how amazing this book is, so I cannot WAIT to finish reading it.
4. The Girl Who Fell by Shannon M. Parker. Controlling relationships are far too common, but often teen girls don’t realize it’s controlling because the boy is often a smooth talker. I feel like this book could be one of the most important books of the year just based on the synopsis.
5. Suffer Love by Ashley Herring Blake. I’ve heard nothing but amazing things about this book. It was also the first 2016 eARC I received. I’ve heard that Sam & Hadley are a great couple and I hope I end up rooting for them. I’ve also heard that it’s very funny, which excites me a lot.
6. Firsts by Laurie Elizabeth Flynn. I am so excited about this book and the sex positive messages that are evident just in the synopsis. Society thinks teen girls shouldn’t like sex, shouldn’t enjoy it. But, surprise, surprise, girls love sex. Mercedes sounds like a fantastic character and I cannot wait for this book.
7. If I Were Your Girl by Meredith Russo. Yessss! There is such a shortage of books about transgender characters and I am so excited for this book. Excited to read about Amanda as she lets a boy, Grant into her life. This book is guaranteed to be a tearjerker (which I love) This book is also among the debuts I’m super excited for.
8. Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys. I read Out of the Easy on Bekka’s recommendation last year and absolutely LOVED it. Last March I bought Between Shades of Grey, but I have not read it yet. But this book looks awesome, and I am fully confident that I will love this book.
9. Shade Me by Jennifer Brown. This book is one of the books I am looking forward to the most. Synesthesia has always fascinated me and I am so hoping this book meets my expectations. Plus the cover is gorgeous.
10. The May Queen Murders by Sarah Jude. Again, GORGEOUS COVER! All the love for this cover. What is it about 2016, all the covers are gorgeous. Small remote farming community with close friendships, missing girls and town secrets. All of those scream my name. Plus I know Bekka is super excited for this book.
What books are you looking forward to in the first months of 2016?